Let us be the first to say: Welcome to Poker!
We’re so excited to have you here! Poker is an amazing sport, a mind sport, a real intellectual pursuit, able to teach really important life lessons. Read our short page, ‘Why Poker’, and you’ll see why we’re so passionate about the game!
Here at Match Poker Online, we have not only turned poker into a sport, but can deliver the sport directly to you in the palm of your hand – for FREE! [Download the app here].
If this is your first touchpoint with poker, or you think of yourself as a beginner, then don’t fear! We have everything you need on our site to help you become the best player you can be!
We recommend you take a look at our guides in this order:
- Learn the rules of Texas Hold ’em poker. There is a video as well as written rules.
- Familiarise yourself with the hand rankings.
- Learn how Match Poker is slightly different to normal poker (and why we’ve achieved recognition as a world sport).
- Try to apply what you’ve learnt for free in the Match Poker Online app! If you are a beginner, we recommend you select ‘New to Poker’ when asked what your skill level is in poker. This will make for the best experience.
- Our app also has a unique hand-rewatching feature, known as The Lab, which allows you to compare every action you made in a hand with the actions made by the best players in the world.
- When you’ve mastered the basics of gameplay, check out the Strategy Guides tab on our website. You can read these in any order, depending on what you want to learn more about. If you’d like help, we’d suggest you go in the following order:
- The Importance of Position in Poker will teach you how to change your play depending on how close you are to the Button!
- Match Poker Pre-Flop Ranges gives a printable chart that will help you decide what to do pre-flop, based on your position and your hole cards.
- Poker Betting Strategies will give you a guide of how much you might bet to get the outcomes you desire.
- About Odds in Poker will introduce you to probability in poker with some handy statistics.
- Pot Odds & Implied Odds in Poker expands on the previous guide by explaining how to make quick and easy probability calculations on the fly when you most need to.
- Probability in Poker – PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER gives an example of how to make decisions based on the calculations explained in the previous two articles.
- Push/Fold Charts explores the Nash Equilibrium and how it can help you decide when it is best to go all-in, and when it’s better to fold.
- Lastly, Expected Value (EV) is an important concept in poker. You need to know how it ties in to winning at poker!
If at any point you’re feeling overwhelmed by strange poker slang and jargon, you can check out our glossary of poker terminology here.
Want to learn more about Match Poker Online™, what we do and what our beloved sport is all about? Make sure to check out our Blog!